Legal Counsel (IP Litigation)
Leading Pharmaceutical Company looking for a Legal Counsel (IP Litigation) to join the legal disputes team in Harlow, Essex. Reporting into the Associate General Counsel for Europe, and within a team of 5 lawyers, you will work with the business to identify opportunities and manage risks and lead a number of European generic litigation working with external Counsel in several European jurisdictions.
From time to time the role may also include regulatory challenges, unfair competition actions and protection of the business branded products.
This is an exceptional opportunity to become part of a team and a company which is dynamic, successful and a great place to work.
This role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer to create opportunities for the European business and deal with and manage disputes on the company's behalf. This is a highly responsible role which provides an excellent opportunity for a commercial litigator to become part of a well-established and highly regarded in-house legal team.
Key responsibilities of the Legal Counsel (IP Litigation):
- working with the commercial and regulatory teams to develop launch strategies
- investigating and assessing disputes that arise in all areas of the business
- recommending and implementing strategies for the successful resolution of disputes
- negotiating settlements
- instructing and managing external law firms and counsel - ensuring adherence with strict cost management principles at all times
- preparing emails/memos of advice, drafting court documents, detailed correspondence and settlement documentation
- managing several established dispute resolution processes and pro-actively considering measures to improve the efficient resolution and/or prevention of disputes
- assisting with risk management/dispute prevention initiatives
- Training the business in various aspects of the litigation team's work
- European and national portfolio, and regulatory teams
- European and national legal teams
- European and Global Patents team
- General Counsel for Europe
- External Legal Counsel
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skill and Specific Competencies Required:
Experience requires for the Legal Counsel (IP Litigation):
- a strong background in commercial disputes, ideally including some heavy-weight litigation and ADR
- first class legal knowledge, with an excellent working knowledge of English contract law and tort law
- experience of settlement negotiations and drafting settlement agreements
- a genuine interest in technology and telecommunications
- the ability to provide clear, commercial advice
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate and advise at all levels within the business
- excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage their own caseload and ability to manage conflicting deadlines
- to be a team player and adaptable
- Happy commute to Harlow although some home working is likely to be possible too
The company is a multinational pharmaceutical company. It specialises primarily in generic drugs, but other business interests include active pharmaceutical ingredients and to a lesser extent proprietary pharmaceuticals. It is the largest generic drug manufacturer in the world and one of the largest pharmaceutical companies worldwide
*2+ PQE (although those with less experience will still be considered)
Please click to apply.