Director of Finance and Compliance
Our Client, a Legal 500 firm, is currently seeking a first-class Director of Finance and Compliance.
This is a key role within the overall leadership of the LLP, working alongside the Managing Partner, senior management team and Senior Equity Members to enable the LLP to meet its strategic, operational and financial objectives.
Attributes and Skills
- An experienced, senior level accountant ideally with law firm or professional services experience
- Educated to degree level or above (ideally) with relevant qualifications
- A credible and highly motivated self-starter who can think and act independently
- Strong intellectual capability
- Ability to think strategically and develop/execute plans in anticipation of business need
- Approachable and able to communicate, influence and build rapport quickly with Partners, senior management, employees at all levels and external suppliers
- Analytical and numerical with the ability to interpret complex management information and data
- Good knowledge and experience of using MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong organisation and administrative skills with a keen eye for detail
- Proven ability to make sound decisions and judgments
- Able to adapt to changing work situations
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to articulate complex financial arrangements in a straightforward commercial way
- Excellent financial analysis and planning skills
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Able to act as a pro-active trouble shooter who can be relied on to solve problems in a timely manner
- Change management expertise desirable
Leadership and Management
- Leading and line managing the Finance, IT, Compliance and Administrative Teams
- Attending weekly management meetings with the Managing Partner, Head of Business Development and Head of HR
- Attending monthly Operation Board meetings and leading key agenda items within his or her area of responsibility
- Attending Strategy Board meetings and contributing positively to the strategic development of the LLP
- Continuing development and maintenance of the firm’s financial reporting systems to ensure the provision of timely and accurate accounting information
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure compliance with all internal accounting policies to ensure that all statutory obligations are met
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
- Prepare the LLP’s and associated companies’ annual statements (to be GAAP compliant) and arrange SRA and management audit with the firm’s accountants keeping both the Managing Partner and Board informed of progress
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Oversee the negotiation and management of employee insurance and benefits plans
- Prepare annual budget and mid-term forecasts in consultation with the Managing Partner for approval by the Partners. Produce monthly monitoring reports of performance against budget
- Continually evaluate, and advise the Board on, the effectiveness of the LLP’s IT systems and make recommendations to the Board on enhancements to IT systems and procedures
- Advise the Board on the most appropriate technology to meet the LLP’s case management, financial, data processing and reporting requirements, ensuring that the LLP is able to remain competitive
- Maintain planned expenditure on IT systems within allocated IT budget
- Maintain effective risk management systems within the LLP to ensure compliance with SRA Code of Conduct, Solicitors Accounting Rules and best practice, ensuring at all times that the LLP’s risk profile is such that the risk of any relevant breaches, legal claims and/or complaints are kept to a minimum
- Advise the Board and liaise with Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO)/Risk Manager regarding risk management policies, variations to terms and conditions and inter-departmental risk policy co-ordination
- Attend quarterly risk management meetings and disseminate information to departmental staff accordingly
- Review firm’s anti-bribery policy and ensure that a record of gifts received/given is maintained
- Annual renewal of Professional Indemnity Insurance including completion of all submissions; liaising with brokers/insurers and negotiating premiums. Arranging short term loan finance if applicable
- Oversee the annual renewal of Practising Certificates
- Oversee and supervise the administrative function of the LLP including reception, property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
If you would like to learn more about this opportunity or other opportunities in the market then contact Francesca Butcher or call for a confidential discussion.
LR Legal is a specialist legal recruitment agency, our enviable reputation is based on trust, integrity and doing what is right for you. We will always talk to you about your application and ask permission before sending your CV to any of our Clients.
Our Consultants have the latest market knowledge at their fingertips and can offer advice and guidance on your next career move – just call us about this role or to see if we have other suitable vacancies for you.
LR Legal Recruitment is operating as an Employment Agency in respect of this vacancy.