This is an exciting opportunity for a lawyer (1-3 years PQE) to join IHS Markit’s legal team.
You will be based in Bracknell and report to Vice President (Commercial), Legal, and will work closely with the rest of the legal team based in London, Colorado, New York and across the world. Your focus will primarily be on the Firm’s largest division, the Financial Markets division. You will work in a fast-paced environment, handling negotiations, drafting and advising on new product initiatives, strategies, service operating procedures, licensing and distribution agreements, partnership arrangements and commercial contracts.
This is a front-line role that requires a confident, commercially-minded lawyer with high levels of autonomy and an ability to manage complicated projects, excellent drafting skills, attention to detail, and a pro-active approach.
Duties and accountabilities
The primary responsibilities will include functioning independently and with the support of colleagues as a legal advisor on:
- Commercial and product-related legal issues including licensing, IP, technology development and support, and general commercial contractual issues – in particular in our Financial Markets division.
- Developing expertise in a range of IHS Markit’s products and building strong relationships with business clients in our various global offices.
- Negotiating contracts with clients; technology, data and distribution partners; and strategic alliance partners, including drafting and negotiating bespoke contracts.
- Analyzing, evaluating and providing input to new product and new client proposals with a view to identifying and highlighting possible business and legal risks to management.
- Drafting and maintaining template agreements.
- Presenting to sales and product team partners and escalating issues on a timely basis where appropriate.
Education and experience:
- Qualified lawyer.
- Strong academic credentials with a degree from a university and legal qualification from a law school.
- Legal experience in negotiating and drafting commercial and other business to business technology and information related contracts.
- Experience in managing projects, communicating with managers and colleagues both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work across a range of commercial transactions simultaneously.
In-house experience is preferable, but the role could also be suitable for a capable corporate or commercial lawyer who is seeking to move in-house. Strong references required.
- Knowledge in commercial contract law required.
- Knowledge of financial services industry a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
IHS Markit offers a flat departmental structure and the successful candidate should expect to be involved with all aspects of the Legal department’s work.
- Excellent relationship management, project management and influencing skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, matrix management work environment.
- Proven ability to communicate professionally to all levels, create presentations and management briefs.
- Ability to anticipate potential problems and respond effectively.
- Excellent investigative, analytical, problem-solving and strategic skills.
Proven ability to drive results through others not in his/her reporting chain and to thrive in a matrix management environment.
Personal impact: Ability to prioritise and to work to set deadlines within a challenging environment, be detail-oriented and self-starting.
Communication: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
Teamwork: Proactive, enthusiastic, self-motivated team player.Strong organisational skills and calm under pressure.
IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide.
The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions.
IHS Markit has more than 50,000 key business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world’s leading financial institutions.
Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth