The Fund distributes in the region of £750 million across the UK each year supporting health, educational, environmental and charitable projects. Grants range from supporting small community led activity to multi million pound programmes. Some 12,000 inspirational projects and organisation are supported each year.
We are happy to announce an exciting opportunity to join the Fund's Legal team as a Senior Solicitor on a permanent basis in our London office, which will include some management responsibility.
They also provide legal services to 2 other fund distibutors.
The Legal team consists of 13 staff, including qualified lawyers and trainees, the procurement team and support staff, working under a new Head of Legal appointed in April 2016. They provide legal support on public and charity law, property, grants, contracts, public procurement, state aid, freedom of information and a wide range of other legal issues.
The structure of the Legal team is still developing under the new Head of Legal so the role can be adapted depending on the skills and experience of candidates. Applications are welcomed from candidates who can satisfy some but not all of the role requirements and person specification.
This a wide ranging role which will include in particular:
* Advise on development of grant funding programmes, including statutory powers and The Applicable Legislative Act; development of grant conditions
* Draft, negotiate and advise on partnership, funding and collaboration agreements with a range of partners, including Government, public bodies and charities
* Support Freedom of Information team with queries about FOI and data protection, and carrying out internal reviews of decisions to withhold information
* Support the Fund's procurement team with drafting and negotiation of contracts for a range of suppliers; use of Government framework agreements; and contract amendments
* Advise on interpretation and application of public procurement rules
* Support Communications team with contracts relating to online, digital, brands and events; advise on use of the funding company's logos
* Maintain and update standard terms and conditions for contracts and grants
* Advise on contract law and disputes with suppliers
* Support risk and investigations teams with grant clawback for breach and insolvency and action against fraudulent claims
* Line manage 1-2 junior solicitors/trainee solicitors (tbc), overseeing their work and supporting their development
* Build excellent relationships with grants and contract managers and senior management within the Funds with occasional travel to UK offices outside London
* Propose and implement processes and policies to streamline the provision of legal support and the efficient operation of the Legal team in line with the strategy of the Funds.
* Support the Head of Legal in developing and implementing a strategy for the Legal team to deliver excellent customer satisfaction
* Provide training and raise awareness of relevant legal issues and keep up to date with legal developments
* Advise on other areas of law relevant to the Funds including public law, state aid, charity law, data protection, freedom of information, intellectual property, equality laws.
* UK Qualified Solicitor or Barrister
* At least 5 years post qualification experience in areas relevant to the role description above (not necessarily all)
* Excellent training and legal knowledge
* Good communication skills and ability to manage difficult conversations
* Demonstrable ability to work closely and collaboratively with team members
* Excellent relationship building, negotiating and influencing skills
* Good management skills and understanding how to motivate and support junior staff
* Good commercial acumen and drafting skills, able to balance and advise on legal risk
* Good project management skills and ability to deliver on time under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
* Positive, "can do" attitude and desire to help deliver excellent service
* Desirable: previous experience in house, ideally in a public body or charity
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business.