Commercial Technology Lawyer
Commercial Technology Lawyer
The Law team at EY is a fast growing and dynamic integrated part of EY. That means opportunities for our people every day - and a need for talented, ambitious professionals to join us now and fuel our growth tomorrow. Become part of a cohesive and expanding team and develop your career within a global organisation.
We are currently expanding our Commercial Technology law capability within the UK & I EY Law team. The role will report into the Commercial Technology law Director and will involve management of more junior team members.
The Commercial Technology team is an integrated, multidisciplinary practice which advises EY’s existing client base, and which also has a track record for introducing new clients (particularly those using new or emerging technologies) to EY. We integrate fully within EY in the UK and globally and leverage the existing growth platforms that EY already has, with their extensive list of clients, resources and global presence.
The role which we are recruiting for will focus on a range of commercial contracting and the provision of advice in relation to emerging technologies, such as Blockchain, Internet of Things and AI and the transformation of businesses into the digital world.
We work across all sectors of the UK economy and with our counterparts across the global EY Law network to provide multi-jurisdictional advice.
Your key responsibilities
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and contributing to winning new clients
- Management of the successful delivery of technically complex and demanding consulting projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical / business driven approach taken
- Build and maintain relationships with other EY professionals contributing to a commercial law offering
- Manage possible leads from other areas of the practice
- Build networks and relationships internally and externally for the team to leverage from
- Help people to develop through effectively supervising, coaching and mentoring staff
- Contribute to people initiatives, including retaining and training law professionals
- Involvement in the management of the team both in terms of operations and also through managing junior staff development and assignments
Skills and attributes for success
- Commercially aware with an appreciation of the business context within which commercial advice applies
- A genuine interest and understanding of technology
- Ability to build strong client relationships with significant experience of working with demanding clients across a wide spectrum of size and activities
- Demonstrable experience in delivering quality outputs to clients
- Ability to identify opportunities to sell work
- Project management skills, planning and prioritising work, meeting deadlines and monitoring own and team budget and time
To qualify for the role you must have
- EU-qualified lawyer with experience gained at a reputable firm (but applicants with other suitable experience will also be considered)
- Extensive commercial contracting experience, ideally in relation to:
- Complex services agreements (such as IT or BPO outsourcing)
- Software licensing and escrow arrangements
- Software development and a working knowledge of Agile software development
- E-commerce/M-Commerce (and the related rules around distance selling)
- Consumer protection
- Distribution Agreements
- Agency Agreements
- Fintech arrangements
- A working knowledge of soft IP and Data Protection (including the GDPR)
- An understanding of Competition Law would be advantageous
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Experience of working with new-starts and entrepreneurs would be an advantage.
- Effective time management, ability to remain calm when under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral
- Enthusiastic team player
- Experience of managing a small team
- Experience of coaching and developing more junior staff
- Change orientated with flexible approach
- The ability to promote the practice’s work through participating in team and firm events, giving internal and external presentations, and producing expert articles for publications
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically
What we look for
This role is suitable for candidates who have worked in established law firms and who are looking to expand their career with this near-Greenfield opportunity by being part of and directing a growing team, helping to create a new and successful legal practice. The role would also be suited to someone who has had some in-house experience. We are looking for highly talented and motivational people, who want to continue to develop themselves and others when they join the firm.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.