Lawyer Engagement Associate
Axiom is seeking a Temporary Lawyer Engagement Associate to join our sales team in our London Office for a one year fixed term contract
Axiom, a recognized leader in the business of law, is a new category of professional services firm and the world's largest provider of tech-enabled legal, contracts, and compliance solutions for large enterprises. We’re comprised of over 1,500 passionate Axiomites who serve over half the Fortune 100 across 16 offices and 5 centers of excellence globally (and counting).
The Financial Times ranked Axiom #1 in business of law, #1 in innovation in corporate strategy and #1 in innovation in law firm efficiency, while The New York Times said Axiom is “rewriting the law firm business model.” In addition, Axiom CEO Mark Harris’ accolades include recognition by the Financial Times as a "top ten agent for change," by Forbes as a "name you need to know," by the National Law Journal as one of the 100 most influential lawyers, by the ABA as a "legal rebel" and by the Aspen Institute as a 2013 Henry Crown Fellow.
We’re passionate about our company; we get a nerdy excitement from what we do. Why work with us? Here are a few reasons:
- : We maintain a tremendously compelling growth trajectory, despite our age and size.
- : From professional services to SaaS solutions, we’re an award-winning innovator. Axiomites thrive on solving problems that have never been solved.
- : We’re the market-leading disruptor within the world’s second largest services economy.
- : Business is never “as usual” at Axiom. That kind of environment offers unparalleled opportunities for problem solving, leadership, and professional growth.
- : Ask any Axiomite “Why Axiom?” and their answer is guaranteed to include our people and values. Over 15 years, we’ve hired not only the industry’s most talented team, but a global family sharing fundamental values.
What’s the role?
The sales team is responsible for helping legal departments solve business problems through two main forms of engagement: Insourcing and Managed Projects.
With Insourcing, our sales team works with legal departments to reduce their reliance on traditional law firms and to manage spikes in workflow that exceed the capacity of their in-house teams. These engagements range from part to full time, remote to onsite, utilizing our London-based attorney population. Axiom’s Managed Projects business combines real process disciplines with smart technology and tools—applied end to end throughout a project— to review commercial contracts in connection with corporate transactions and regulatory events. Axiom was recognized by a leading trade association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, for its innovative and cost-effective approach to these projects.
A critical member of that team, The Lawyer Engagement Associate is accountable for understanding our clients’ needs, outlining the scope of their needs and requirements, and matching these against the skills and expertise of our attorneys.
- Fulfillment of Client Matters
- Participate with sales team in client intake calls to understand client requirements
- Identify Axiom Attorneys who effectively meet the requirements of the client’s needs
- Work with Axiom recruiting team to communicate business needs and drive matter-specific recruitment efforts
- Identify creative or alternative solutions for filling the client’s open matter when traditional routes may not be effective
- Gauge and generate interest of Axiom Attorneys in the related open matters through high-impact presentations and conversations
- Submit Axiom Attorneys to clients for review and gather feedback
- Upon selection of Axiom Attorney, help manage the contract process with the client
- Attend client meetings
- Lawyer Management
- Manage a portfolio of lawyers on Axiom’s Waitlist, prior to finding their first Axiom engagement
- Prepare lawyers for interviews with the client
- Before engagements begin, ensure Axiom Attorneys are provided with detailed information on the engagement and are well-positioned to succeed in the engagement
- Analyzing and Managing against Attorney Demand
- Develop a deep understanding of the skills, practice areas, seniority, and industry experience of the Axiom Attorneys within assigned practice
- Interview and assess candidates against skills requirements and client cultures
- Identify attorney demand trends based on open matters and fill rate; interpret the trends to determine whether action is required to further develop our bench of attorneys which may include external recruiting
- Partner with Attorney Recruitment team as needed to identify skills gaps in current attorney bench to create targeted recruitment campaigns
First and foremost, successful candidates must be fits for our unique operating environment and culture: high-growth, innovative, lean, and values-driven. As such, successful candidates must be highly capable in each the following dimensions (among others): adaptability, curiosity, resourcefulness, analytical thinking/problem solving, proactivity, taking initiative, teamwork, thought leadership, credibility, and operating with/through a lean team (for people leaders: must be comfortable being a “player” and a “coach,” often in equal parts).
Successful candidates must also embody our Core Values:
- : We love the company we’re building with undignified enthusiasm. We’re committed to our mission, our clients and our people. We celebrate our successes, learn from our failures and find opportunity in adversity.
- : We exist to inject new energy and new thinking into a precedent-bound profession. We combine innovation, personality and logic in a way that invigorates our clients and our colleagues.
- : There’s a certain inevitability to Axiom and our business model, which makes it irresistible to clients. What’s more, we surround ourselves with talented people who have a contagious energy and incurable passion.
- : We pride ourselves on listening and relating to our colleagues and clients in a way that’s genuine, human and memorable. We take a consultative approach; work with our clients to help solve business problems. And we care about the little things.
Beyond these characteristics, here are the required skills, knowledge, capabilities, and education:
- Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier university required
- A legal qualification is desirable, but not essential
- 2+ years of relevant experience, ideally as a lawyer in a law firm or in-house; or via legal recruiting experience within a law firm, recruitment agency, or corporate in-house environment, inside sales experience, engagement fulfillment experience from a top-tier consulting firm, or other relevant experience
- Highly persuasive verbal communication skills, high-impact presentation skills
- Sense of urgency, hunger, and drive/commitment to closing client opportunities
- Ability to effectively assess candidate skills and interests to meet requirements
- Poise, confidence, and maturity to interact with senior level, highly experienced attorneys and/or clients
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Highly organized and able to operate in a high pressure, fast-paced environment
Sound intriguing? Please send your resume/CV