Legal Counsel - Insurance
An energetic and highly innovative insurer headquartered in Sevenoaks, Kent is looking for a 3-5 years PQE Legal Counsel to assist the General Counsel and provide legal advice and assistance. The company generates revenues in excess of £1.4 billion. Since establishment, the company has grown into a large network of businesses and holds over 70 companies under its umbrella.
The role involves:
- Reviewing, updating, drafting and advising on general insurance matters including binding authorities, claims handling agreements, Broker TOBAs, co-insurance & reinsurance agreements, AR and IAR agreements, outsourcing arrangements, aggregator and software house agreements
- Providing advice on FSMA and FCA regulatory requirements
- Reviewing, updating, drafting and advising on general commercial and other contracts for the supply and/or sale of goods or services agreements
- Review, update and improve procedures to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Conducting legal research as required
- Keeping up to date with changes in legislation that may impact the Group
- Assisting with and advise on all other legal matters relating to Group companies
- Providing support on projects and legal issues as and when required
- Providing general assistance to the Group General Counsel
- Providing general assistance to internal business clients with legal related queries
- Liaising with internal clients in a timely, professional and courteous manner
- Dealing with contentious matters as and when required, including but not limited to drafting letters before action, settlement agreements and attending court or tribunal hearings
- Providing other general assistance as required
- Undertaking other reasonable responsibilities and projects as instructed by their line manager
- Where applicable, to adhere to Company processes with regard to FCA compliance and Treating Customers Fairly
- Where applicable, to ensure that DPA, FCA, FSC and other regulatory requirements are met.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent legal research skills - familiar with using legal resources
- Dynamic and driven individual with initiative and a 'can-do' attitude
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and with time constraints meeting deadlines
- Ability to draft a diverse range of insurance/commercial agreements and documents in order to support the wide variety of businesses within the Group
- Ability to draft agreements from scratch without heavy reliance on precedents
- Participate in meetings and negotiations in the course of which contracts and agreements are developed with customers/suppliers.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines but at same time keeping work and advice to a high standard
- Ability to deliver legal advice to non-lawyers in a common-sense manner
- Ability to work comfortably autonomously and as part of a team
- Proactive and capable of working unsupervised
- You will have the ability to advise, engage and negotiate with all levels of the business and be capable of undertaking a wide and very varied caseload, balancing priorities accordingly.
Our client envisages that candidates outside of this PQE range will have the relevant skills/knowledge for this position, however this has been given as an approximate guide for applicants and our client is happy to consider the applications of candidates who fall outside of this PQE range but who have the relevant experience.