Head of Learning and Development
Our client, a leading international law firm, have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Learning and Development to join their team.
The team supports the firm’s people strategy through a range of development programmes and initiatives. It is also responsible for the development of UK partners, lawyers and business services. The team designs and delivers in-house programmes and workshops, commissions and manages external training providers and consultants as appropriate, provides coaching and liaises with practice areas and practice support lawyers to provide a comprehensive learning curriculum. In addition, they advise other internal teams on people development aspects of their areas of specialism.
Reporting to the Chief Learning Officer, the Head of Learning and Development will manage the design and delivery of a range of learning and development programmes, including the firm's global high potential programme for senior lawyers and the design and delivery of other workshops and activities relating to UK partner and lawyer development. They will have line management responsibilities for the UK team. Whilst reporting to the Chief Learning Officer, the Head of Learning and Development will also liaise with senior members of the management team, particularly with the Regional Managing Partner for the UK and Africa.
Development programmes and workshops:
- Leadership of the UK lawyer development function.
- Management the firm's development programme for high potential senior lawyers. Acting as a central point for the management of this global programme, effectively managing the delivery of the communications, pre-work, programme design and delivery (including managing internal and external contributors) and on-going evaluation relating to programme. Updating and appropriate redesign of the programme, ensuring it continues to align with other global programs and firm strategy, liaising with key stakeholders including the Global Head of Talent Management.
- Partner with UK Regional Managing Partner to provide development opportunities to partners and Group Managers.
- Managing the activities that support UK lawyer development, including integration with stakeholders on pathways, legal learning, and other activities that impact the lawyer curriculum.
- Manage and oversee development of content/curriculum for the UK learning management system; liaise with global team for consistency.
- Maintain and build relationships with internal key stakeholders at the most senior levels.
- Delivery of development activities and modules including sessions at Momentum, Transform, Senior Associate Intensives, UK workshops, and other learning programs or events.
- Provide support to the legal learning and compliance function.
- Maintaining relationships with external providers and consultants and internal programme contributors including partners and senior Business Services professionals.
- Support the delivery of the UK Business Services development workshops in conjunction with the Director of Learning for Business Services, ensuring effective implementation of the agreed strategy. Providing support and guidance to the People Development Manager who takes responsibility for the day to day management of these development activities.
- Involvement in other learning and development projects and activities as they arise.
- Management of budgets relating to key areas of responsibility.
- Line management of the UK People Development team.
- As the senior member of a small team, providing a point of leadership and mentoring within the team.
- The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in project and people management in a learning and development, consulting or HR business partnering role, along with a solid working knowledge of a range of psychometrics and techniques for assessment/development.
- They will have a proactive and collaborative approach and enjoy working in a team, along with significant experience designing, delivering and evaluating development activities.
- Experience of working in a large, global organisation, ideally with experience of working in a professional service or law firm environment (along with a Law degree) is desirable.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Project management: a proven track record of delivering projects in a complex environment is essential, together with an ability to deal sensitively, proactively and effectively with a range of stakeholders.
- People management: experience of having line management responsibility for team members.
- Design, delivery/facilitation and coaching skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including formal and informal presentation.
- Ability to build internal client relationships and demonstrate a client-focused approach at all times.
- An understanding of key skills development areas, eg: Management and team-building, Communication skills, Business development, Client relationship management, Practice management, Profitability.
- Experience of budget management.
- Experience with learning strategies and instructional design for instructor led and online learning.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject, for example organisational development, learning and development, business/occupational or organisational psychology, or relevant professional qualification.
- Ideally accreditation to use psychometric tools such as HPI/HDS, MBTI, DISC and a Coaching qualification.
- Reliably and consistently delivers on agreed objectives and commitments.
- Prioritises and plans, taking account of changing business needs and priorities.
- Comfortable working with complexity and organisational change.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Works collaboratively and flexibly within a team, willingly supporting other team members.
- High quality standards and attention to detail.
- Proactive and consultative approach.