Joseph Hage Aaronson LLP is an exciting specialist litigation practice based in Holborn, central London. We have built a new model for the provision of litigation services. Our partnership comprises world-renowned practitioners, both barristers and solicitors, from various dispute-resolution backgrounds. Our firm’s barristers and solicitors, with their distinct experiences, work closely as a team from the beginning of every case. We therefore combine the best qualities of a chambers with those of a traditional law firm. Our practice areas are commercial litigation, international arbitration, tax disputes and forensic investigation and we focus on the highest quality, most complex cases.
Our sole focus is achieving the best outcomes for our clients in their most demanding, complex, and important cases. We strive to be the UK’s leading law firm in each of our practice areas.
We are looking for a number of outstanding Tax Litigators, at all levels, to join our ever-growing tax disputes practice.
Our contentious tax team is led by five partners: Graham Aaronson QC, the leading tax silk of his generation, Simon Whitehead, Paul Farmer, Michael Anderson and Ray McCann. All are supported by a strong team of in-house barristers, solicitors and paralegals, bringing together the best qualities of the bar with those of a law firm to deliver a cohesive approach to advising and representing our clients throughout all stages of a dispute.
Our partners and lawyers have experience of tax litigation in all areas of the domestic courts and tribunal system, from the First-tier Tribunal to the Supreme Court. We have also represented clients in numerous references to the European Court of Justice and in high-value tax disputes in foreign jurisdictions.
We are lead and test-case solicitors in almost all corporation tax Group Litigation Orders (GLOs), which bring together High Court claims made by multinational corporations. These claims are ground-breaking and seek to challenge various elements of the UK’s tax legislation as being contrary to EU legal principles.
We also act for corporations, trusts and high net worth individuals in a wide range of domestic tax disputes, assisting clients to resolve issues and disputes with HMRC. The firm has a track record of resolving tax disputes by proactive and cooperative engagement with HMRC, and has achieved consistently excellent results for our clients.
- High level of academic ability and committed to producing consistent, accurate and quality work.
- Excellent organisation skills and proven ability to prioritise and manage workflows.
- Professional, focused approach to work and a desire to learn.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to grasp unfamiliar concepts and apply lateral and divergent thinking.
- Self-motivated and high level of initiative.
- Ability to work co-operatively with colleagues.
- A proven ability to work with numbers and in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
Qualifications & Experience
- A strong academic record, preferably a first class undergraduate degree from a top-tier university. A law degree is preferable.
- Trained and qualified as a solicitor in the United Kingdom or a Commonwealth country.
- A keen interest in tax is essential.
- Previously experience or knowledge of tax is preferable.
- Experience of HMRC disputes would be preferable.
- Some knowledge of European law would be of benefit.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Competitive and in line with Magic Circle bandings.
Way of applying for this role
Please apply with a CV and Covering letter clearly explaining why you are interested in our firm, the role on offer and why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Due to the high volume of CVs, we can only respond to applicants that have been successfully chosen for interview.