Experience level: Intermediate
Working hours: Full-time
Team: Property Litigation
As one of the UK’s Top 100 law firms with offices in London, Bristol, Southampton, Swindon and Bath, Thrings’ strategic growth over the past five years has provided a platform to build on the commercial focus of the firm and to offer the complete service for businesses and their owners. Thrings offers specialist advice in sectors such as Aerospace and Defence, Agriculture, Energy and Waste, Innovation and Technology, and Financial Services from partner-led teams whose expertise matches that found in much larger City firms.
The Property Litigation team comprises 8 fee earners based in Swindon and Bristol but covering all of our main offices. It is one of the biggest Property Litigation teams in the South West and made up of 3 Partners (all legal 500 recognised) and 5 other fee earners with a broad range of specialism offering strength and depth. The team offers good quality experience across a wide range of property litigation specialisms, including commercial landlord and tenant, rural land and landed estates, leasehold enfranchisement, property and asset management, as well as in its specialist retail/leisure, pension funds, charities and healthcare sectors. The team provides bespoke and highly technical advice (rather than “churn” work) to a wide range of clients from PLCs, international companies, SMEs, sole traders, trusts and private individuals.
Working in an open and collaborative manner the team is commercial and pragmatic and prides itself on its strong relationships with clients, referrers and colleagues. It offers support to other commercial property lawyers, private property lawyers and the specialist construction and planning teams and their clients.
The team has a strong work ethic and optimistic outlook, and actively looks to develop the business at all levels to continue its strong organic growth. Individuals are given trust and autonomy to make an impact and the support and encouragement to progress.
Purpose of the role
The Property Litigation team is seeking a career paralegal with relevant legal qualifications for a newly created role which will provide support to the team’s fee earners. The role will include some administrative support alongside specific fee earning responsibilities with chargeable hours and billing targets; that offers the opportunity for the successful candidate to develop and progress their career. We are seeking to recruit someone who is looking for a long term, stimulating and enjoyable career as a paralegal in a busy department; and not seeking a training contract with the firm in the long run.
Working hours are generally 9am to 5pm with 1 hour lunch break.
- Offering support to all partners and fee earners in the department, assisting with the management and progression of matters.
- Drafting of documents based on heads of terms, such as lease renewal notices, proof reading documents, drafting letters serving schedules and assisting with break notices, liaising with and chasing other parties
- Communicating with clients and helping to ensure the highest standard of client care on matters during the course of a matter.
- Providing support to fee earners and clients in managing bulk instructions, such as rent arrears/letters before action, and assisting in managing property portfolios, creating and being responsible for spreadsheets, answering routine enquires and being a consistent contact for the client and their tenant/occupiers/property managers on day to day matters..
- Researching cases and any pertinent legal information needed.
- Assisting team members with document and bundle production.
- Creating and implementing procedures and precedents that will help add efficiency to the work of the department, for example checklists and protocols.
- Liaising with accounts in relation to bills, credit control etc
- Assisting with an overflow of administrative matters, such as typing, filing, archiving, billing when the need arises (eg but not exclusively during secretary holiday or sickness periods)
Skills and experience
- CLT Specialist Paralegal / CILEX qualification (or working towards)
- Previous Paralegal/PSL/Legal work experience.
- Ability to deal with high volume workload.
- High standards of client service.
- A team player and genuine desire to be part of and to positively contribute towards the team’s targets
- Excellent communication skills
- Good IT skills.
- Experience and/or knowledge of property disputes or management, litigation and leasehold enfranchisement
- Good working knowledge of the Land Registry, HMRC and Companies House systems.
Benefits on offer at Thrings:
There are many benefits to working at Thrings: Our culture and best practice in all our working relationships provide the key elements that contribute to Thrings being a great place to work.
In addition, you will receive a competitive salary, core benefits including life assurance, private medical cover and health cash plans, 25 days holiday and a flexible benefits package.