Regulatory Advocate (Barrister or Solicitor Advocate)
Closing date: midnight, 17th January 2019
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
Overview of the role:
An exciting and challenging role has arisen for a practising barrister or solicitor advocate to advise on, prepare and present cases that fall within The FA’s regulatory remit.
The cases involve parties subject to The FA’s jurisdiction, including players, managers, clubs and intermediaries. The cases range from on-field behaviour, crowd control, anti-doping, match-fixing, betting, financial misconduct, discrimination, media comments, and safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
Key responsibilities include:
Reporting to the Head of Regulatory Advocates Department the key responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal advice and support to investigations, including the gathering of evidence and formulating charges.
- Preparing and presenting cases dealt with by The FA’s Regulatory Commissions and Appeal Boards.
- Providing advice to The FA, County Football Associations and other stakeholders on regulatory and disciplinary issues.
What we are looking for:
- Qualified Barrister or Solicitor
- Experience in criminal or regulatory law
- Advocacy experience, including witness handling (ideally gained in the criminal courts)
- Experience of providing advice on investigations and the strength of the evidence
- Case management experience
- Team player
- Knowledge of and interest in football
Candidates must possess the ability to work in an extremely fast paced environment, often under intense media scrutiny, in order to meet strict deadlines when required. The successful candidate must be a team player able to work collaboratively with the investigations unit and the wider Legal and Governance Division.
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.