Senior Legal Counsel
Homebase, the second largest DIY retailer in the UK, is seeking to recruit a Commercial Lawyer to join the team as Senior Legal Counsel. Under new ownership, fresh new leadership team in place to drive the business forward and a Legal function playing a key role in guiding the business, it represents the start of a brand new chapter and an opportunity to put a clear stamp on the role.
An opportunity has arisen to join the legal team as Senior Legal Counsel working alongside the General Counsel based at the Store Support Centre in Milton Keynes. You will be joining Homebase at an exciting time and will be integral in the Homebase turnaround. The successful candidate will provide advice to the whole business on a wide range of legal issues. This is an amazing and exciting opportunity to join an in-house legal role that will offer progression and development.
Key Responsibilities and Attributes
- Effectively manage an individual caseload
- Work in a collegiate and collaborative way within an immediate team and the wider business environment.
- Communicate promptly and effectively both internally and externally.
- Help the business identify and assess current and future risks and benefits from a legal perspective to facilitate decision making and business growth.
- Develop recommendations to improve business practices which are consistent with company culture and strategy
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders and external panel law firms.
- Provide day to day legal support for the UK & Ireland business
- Advise on a wide variety of contracts including drafting and negotiations
- Assist the business with the management and understanding of compliance and risk
- Work on business projects and manage litigation as required
- Update and promote the use of tools to manage legal risks
- Assist in developing and rolling out legal training to the business
- Take an active interest in furthering your knowledge within the field of law.
What you need to be successful:
- c-8 PQE commercial lawyer with strong commercial contract drafting and negotiating skills.
- Great communication skills with the ability to influence at all levels.
- Must have experience in working in-house or a secondment role.
- Experience working in retail an advantage.
- Great planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and manage junior members of the team.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.