Associate (Brazilian Qualified)
£ 40,000 + Benefits
Our global International Arbitration practice has experience of all the major arbitration rules and centres and many of the specialised sector specific rules. As well as handling large-scale and multi jurisdictional commercial arbitrations, we draw on our deep sector roots to provide focused arbitration services in the construction, energy, marine, trade and insurance sectors. With a global network covering six continents, our regional teams provide in-depth knowledge of local centres and rules.
Renowned for work completed in emerging markets, we also routinely act for and against governments in investment disputes in many of the rapidly expanding and sometimes unpredictable markets of the world. We are recognised as foreign experts in South America, the Middle East, NorthAfrica, Belarus, Kazakhstan, the Balkans, Russia and Ukraine. We are looking for a Brazilian Qualified Lawyer at Associate level to work in our London based Latin America team. The team specialises in arbitration and litigation in the construction, energy, marine, trade and insurance sectors and works predominantly on high-value insurance arbitrations and general commercial arbitrations with a specific focus on the Brazilian market.
Duties and Responsibilities
At Clyde & Co we recruit according to competencies which are linked to our Career Development Framework. As an Associate, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Excellent knowledge of the law and industry
- Advising and counselling on claims from international clients based in Brazil
- Effectively applying legal principles to a range of complex problems
- Drafting structurally consistent and clear legal documents
- Actively developing sector legal knowledge
- Identifying opportunities for knowledge sharing
- Drafting articles and publications
- Organised and structured approach to tasks to ensure matters are progressed
People and Team
- Proactively and willingly support team members
- Respond positively to changing working environments
- Awareness of own development needs and seek solutions
- Effectively manages paralegal and secretarial resource
Business Development and Client Relationships
- Present at internal seminars
- Have active engagement in the arbitration industry
- Participate in tender and pitch meetings
- Demonstrate good judgement and credibility with clients
- Build a strong rapport with clients
- Demonstrate sound commercial judgement and credibility with clients
- Recognise commercial opportunities and follow through
- Build a network of internal contacts within and across practice groups
- Understand and deal with client expectations, objectives, negotiating position and key concerns
Finance and Practice Management
- Effectively prioritise tasks and competing demands
- Proactively manage matters to drive them forward
- Personal Effectiveness
- Confidence and enthusiasm in interactions
- Use of influence and persuasion positively
- Effective decision making and sound problem solving skills
- Strength in a range of communication methods
Experience and Skills
The department's standards are high, and to be considered you will have an excellent academic track record and have experience working at leading UK or international law firms. High Quality post qualification experience in international arbitration and litigation work in both domestic and international matters is important.
- The candidate should be a Brazilian qualified lawyer with experience working at a recognised Brazilian law firm, dealing predominantly with arbitration and litigation in construction, energy, marine, trade and insurance sectors.
- Fluency in Portuguese is essential, and working knowledge in other languages is desirable.
- Experience in international commercial arbitrations seated in Brazil, and governed by the laws of Brazil
- Experience in matters in arbitral tribunals’
- Experience in drafting articles on international dispute resolution for law journals
Please apply online attaching your CV and covering letter within 28 days of the first placement of this advertisement.
Firm's Privacy Notice https://www.clydeco.com/help/privacy
Apply for Associate
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly