Clinical Negligence Lawyer
Edinburgh – George Street
Package circa £47,000 - £60,000 Depending on experience.
Excellent benefits package including: 15% - 21% pension depending on individual contribution, PMI, HCCP.
Permanent, full time.
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was formally recognised in 2016 when we were first awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Internally our Lawyers are referred to as Claims Managers. The Claims Manager role is key to delivering a world class service to our members, the purpose of the role is to directly manage a caseload of UK or international Clinical Negligence claims. You will work as part of a collaborative, co-located team including in-house doctors, litigation solicitors, quantum and costs advisors, claims assistants and support staff. The Claims Manager will be responsible for undertaking all necessary investigation (in accordance with the Clinical Disputes Protocol) up to the point of pre action resolution or the service of legal proceedings.
Main Responsibilities could include:
- Directly managing a caseload of claims through to resolution or the service of proceedings.
- Assessing the facts, law, apportionment issues, quantum and likely costs in order to devise and implement a case management and investigative strategy proportionate to the claim.
- Ensuring accurate claims estimates are set and kept up to date.
- Giving direction, coaching and input to Claims Assistants when required.
- Resolution of any apportionment issues
- Obtaining additional documentary and factual evidence from members and witnesses
- Commissioning expert reports as required
- Analysing quantum
- Drafting and serving the Letter of Response
- Proactively initiating and engaging in settlement negotiations where appropriate
- The use of ADR/mediation where indicated
- Provide instructions to internal MPS litigation solicitors to take over conduct of the file when required
- Where external litigation solicitors (MPS Panel) are appointed, continuing to provide ongoing MPS input, strategic direction and instructions through to resolution
The Ideal Candidate
The right candidate will have experience in handling medical or dental negligence claims in either the Insurance or Legal world. However, what really is important is that we want you to be as dedicated and passionate about representing our Members as we are. We need more great people to join our existing team who put our Members at the heart of everything we do.
Medical Protection is an international organisation which handles every type of medical and dental negligence claim and we can offer you a mix of some of the most stimulating work you will encounter in your career. We want to develop you and we will work with you take your career to another level. If you are as ambitious and determined as we are and you want to be inspired by and empowered in your work, then you are the right person to work with us.
All applications should be submitted through the MPS careers site by clicking the apply button, but in case of any queries please contact email@example.com