Legal Counsel (IP & Commercial)
An exciting high-end consumer brand is looking to hire a dedicated IP lawyer to support its existing Senior IP & Commercial lawyer and General Counsel with a range of IP and other general commercial legal work.
As a Legal Counsel you will enjoy an extremely broad role, providing strategic legal advice on a wide variety of legal projects and challenges facing the business across all its departments and countries of operation, with a particular focus on IP and commercial (including privacy) matters. This is a highly visible and exciting role offering exposure to all levels across the business, including the CEO, CFO, and other members of the executive team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Brand protection and enforcement: managing contentious IP disputes and claims, including actual or threatened litigation by or against the company in relation to its trade marks and designs.
- Brand management: management of the company’s IP strategy and IP portfolio across the globe, including trade mark and design registrations to protect the company’s brand assets and product designs as it continues to launch new products and expand into new territories.
- IP/commercial contracts and advice: drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts including supplier, partnership, influencer, designer, and marketing agreements; and advising on a kaleidoscope of matters such as design approval, marketing matters (including for example ASA guidance, competitions advice), and customer-facing terms and conditions.
- Market growth: acting as a business partner and key legal adviser on potential expansion into new territories, product ranges, and business models, and other strategic initiatives from the business; advising on a broad range of IP, commercial and other matters; and managing the legal and regulatory issues arising from such growth.
- Commercial dispute resolution: assisting with commercial disputes and settlements across the business, including advising on legal issues arising from customer service matters, disputes with suppliers and other third parties, and managing small claims litigation as appropriate.
- Providing legal support on a variety of other matters across all countries of operation as required – eg. commercial contracts across all areas of the business, ad-hoc commercial legal queries, advertising/marketing/consumer matters, customer services and general retail issues, real estate matters, technology/data protection issues, etc, often working alongside other members of the Legal team.
- Hiring and managing external counsel where appropriate and managing legal budgets relating to your areas of responsibility.
- Creating and improving legal processes, including developing templates, standard forms and legal issue checklists, and designing and implementing appropriate systems for the review, execution and management of documents.
- Preparing and conducting legal education and training for different teams across the business, on IP matters in particular.
What you’ll need
- 1-4 PQE* qualified lawyer in England & Wales.
- Significant intellectual property experience, preferably in both contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Strong interest, and ideally some experience, in advising on general commercial matters.
- Trained in a top-tier private practice firm. Prior experience in a start-up, tech, e-commerce or retail environment is helpful but not essential.
- Proven ability to deliver commercial and pragmatic solutions and concise advice.
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills (knowledge of German, French and/or other European languages would be a bonus); strong influencing and negotiation skills; and an ability to deal with all levels of internal as well as external clients.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail, with a proven ability to juggle and prioritise a large number of competing matters.
- Self-motivated, independent and results-focused.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to undertake a wide variety of tasks - some mundane and routine, and others more challenging – and to take ownership of them and see them to conclusion.
- Most importantly, you will be a self-starter with bags of enthusiasm, a “never say never” attitude, and a great sense of humour!
*PQE is a guide only. All candidates will be judged on merit regardless of PQE.