Senior Commercial Lawyer
- Full Time
This role is a 12 month maternity cover where the individual will be required to provide legal advice to all areas of the business.
The client is a registered trade union.
- Provision of a broad range of confident and independent specialist & technical commercial/ corporate/ company legal advice for client colleagues, to include (not an exhaustive list): contract law, compliance, data protection and privacy, intellectual property, trust and charities law, insurance, tax, pension and financial services, procurement and competition law.
- Provide advice on primarily contract law but also to include other specialised areas of law e. defamation, company & corporate, data protection, electoral law, ethics, anti-bribery, modern slavery, corporate governance, and complex information technology contracts (not an exhaustive list)
- Provide practical and effective legal advice across all areas of the business, in a commercial manner.
- Provide advice on corporate governance and compliance processes and remain actively aware of the processes so as to improve and develop increasingly robust governance and compliance where opportunities arise.
- Assess and analyse commercial contracts, including high value and high risk. Engage in contract negotiations from a legal perspective and draft appropriate legal documents.
- Draft and negotiate a range of complex legal documents including template legal documents for use by legal colleagues and the client colleagues.
- Working effectively with clients from across the business regarding the delivery of corporate/ commercial projects.
- Recognised law qualifications, current practising certificate, and several years' in-house legal experience.
- Strong team player with the ability to collaborate on projects with immediate team members as well as client colleagues.
- Effectively communicating legal risk advice and providing constructive and practical commercial solutions that are legally compliant and which assist the delivery of the client's strategy and commercial and corporate objectives.
- Extensive experience of analysing, negotiating and closing commercial transactions.
- Proven experience of providing appropriate legal risk advice.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Focused approach to delivering ingenious results by working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with client colleagues across the large organisation with directorates and departments including Procurement, Technology Services,, Corporate Development (which includes Strategy & Insights & Charities), HR, Council Secretariat, Member Relations, Communications and Engagement (Public Affairs, News), Products and Sales (Conference Unit, Venues).
- A strong commitment to high standards of service delivery and excellent customer care.
- 12 month maternity cover
- Competitive Pay for the sector
- 18% Pension contribution
- 33 days Holidays