Advertising & Marketing Lawyer
The Senior Legal Counsel is an integral member of the General Counsel team, but also part of the wider General Secretary (Public Affairs, Sustainability & Communications) and the Compliance teams.
You will have a big focus on marketing and advertising matters for the wider business.
A large FMCG company that sits within the food and drink sector.
Objectives of the role
The Legal & Compliance department is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of legal services to the three businesses and three factories across the UK & Ireland, including contract drafting and negotiation, review of sales and marketing activities and advice on all areas of legal compliance (competition law, bribery act, data protection, etc.)
- Delivery of robust legal advice whilst retaining a strong business acumen
- Ability to take position rather than sitting on the fence
- Confidence to operate in a fast moving and VUCA environment and to adapt approach and support depending on the internal stakeholders' needs & expectations
- Keeping abreast of all relevant new legislation and/or industry practices that could impact the businesses
Job dimensions and KPIs:
In addition to being a solid lawyer with strong technical competencies, the senior legal counsel will be expected to participate actively in the development of the company and its brands, remaining comfortable to adapt to the fast changing environment of the three culturally diverse businesses.
The right candidate will have a critical role in supporting the ongoing development of an effective and optimised Legal & Compliance function and assume confident line management responsibility for the legal counsel in the team. He or she will also be expected to think broadly beyond their functional area of expertise, in order to become an integral business partner.
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of complex commercial contracts, including distribution, warehouse and transport, and IT agreements
- Managing the ongoing compliance with the Contract Policy and implementation of contract management tools introduced at a Group level
- Putting in place tools to support the businesses, including templates, guidance documents & legal training
- Supporting the commercial teams on all issues arising out of the relationship with our customers, including the battle of the forms, trading agreements, audit claims and GSCOP
- Providing advice on day-to-day competition law issues, such as resale price maintenance, sharing of commercially sensitive information and our relationship with competitors
- Reviewing advertising communications in close collaboration with the Regulatory team, including prize draws/competitions, social media & in-store promotions
- Advising and supporting the business on all IP considerations, notably around new product development and innovation
- Good understanding of the UK & Irish regulators, including the ASA, CAP and Trading Standards
- Ongoing advice and training on all areas of legal compliance, including anti-bribery, competition law, data protection and directors' duties
- Drawing from best practice in other companies and legal networking in order to identify and introduce tools & processes to better manage compliance risks within our businesses
- Supporting the businesses on all types of commercial/contractual disputes
- Advising on difficult consumer complaints and insurance claims
- Managing external counsel and business stakeholders in legal proceedings
A qualified lawyer who has experience in both private practice and in house would be ideal, but not mandatory.
Ideally a senior lawyer, but strong junior candidates will also be considered.
A competitive salary.