Interim Legal Director - Commercial
Interim Legal Director & Company Secretary - Commercial
Pharmaceutical, Life Sciences, Biotech
Your new company
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a qualified solicitor 7-10+ PQE to join a leading and well known life sciences organisation based in Berkshire, as Interim Legal Director & Company Secretary UK&I with two direct reports. Reporting directly to the VP, you will provide Legal advice and support to all business commercial operations functions in the U. and Ireland.
Your new role
- Provision of general Legal advice as needed.
- Collaborating with the UK and Ireland business to drive success and to facilitate business goals and objectives.
- Actively aligning the legal objectives with those of the UK and Ireland business.
- Working closely with the Business Unit Heads to support and drive the success of the business brands.
- Prompt intervention to manage contractual conflicts/litigation with assistance of external counsel as needed, in coordination with Group Legal, and managing local Legal Budget.
- Proactive monitoring of relevant changes to local legislation or local requirements, as well as informing relevant stakeholders.
- Identification and resolution of complex and/or high-risk legal issues.
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and approving agreements as needed.
- Supporting and participating in strategic discussions around products/partnerships.
- Supporting and participating in Group Legal projects as needed (i. contract management), in particular, for local implementation.
- Selecting and directing the work of local external Legal counsel, as needed, including defining project objectives and budget.
- Working with the local data privacy manager, having overall responsibility for all data privacy issues affecting the UK and Irish businesses.
- Serving as a Director, and as necessary, chairing the boards of the UK Group companies.
- Managing the company secretarial function on behalf of the UK Group.
- Training the UK and Ireland business on key legal developments, and continuing to raise business awareness around applicable laws and regulations through training and day-to day interactions.
- Developing practical checklists and tools to enable the UK and Ireland business to self-serve.
- Implementing Global Legal initiatives and providing training on such initiatives, as needed.
- Ensuring smooth collaboration with other Legal teams, in particular Business Development, Research & Development / Technical Operations / IT and Intellectual Property.
- Effective use, mentoring and supervision of Legal interns, as applicable.
- Ensuring overall compliance of UK and Ireland activities with applicable laws, industry codes and guidelines, including the ABPI Code of Practice.
- Ensuring smooth collaboration and regular interaction with the Ethics & Compliance and Medical teams, to reinforce a compliance culture and ensure the highest ethical standards are maintained.
- Prompt intervention to manage and resolve challenges with competitors or inspections, audits, dawn-raids, etc. initiated by relevant authorities.
What you'll need to succeed
- At least 7-10 years PQE including relevant experience in the pharmaceutical sector, either in house or law firm.
- Qualification to practice law in the UK. Experience in Ireland is a bonus.
- Strong working knowledge of the ABPI Code
- Self-motivated team-player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, but should be able to work independently..
- Confident to offer comments and thoughts at Legal and/or business meetings, including local leadership team.
- Ability to manage outside counsel.
What you'll get in return
Flexible working options available.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV for consideration.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Apply for Interim Legal Director - Commercial
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly