Senior Associate (Costs and Litigation Funding)
PGMBM is a unique partnership between British, Brazilian and American lawyers, with particular expertise in group litigation and is currently managing some of the largest claims in English legal history including claims arising from the collapse of the Fundão Dam, the largest environmental disaster in the history of Brazil. The firm is also at the cutting-edge of group consumer claims, representing thousands of affected clients throughout Europe and across the globe.
PGMBM, formerly known as SPG Law, has grown globally, expanding out of its London offices into Europe and the United States. See our website for more information about our firm.
Why is this role crucial for PGMBM?
At PGMBM we are currently going through an exciting period of growth and organisational change that needs an experienced Costs Lawyer to lead costs across our cases, from emissions to medical product liability to international environmental protection.
We are looking for an experienced Costs Lawyer/Senior Law Costs Draftsperson to join a large well-respected international law firm which specialises in Group Litigation work both in the UK and across the globe. You will be working across all of the firm’s litigations from start to finish, providing dedicated costs support to litigation lawyers across several offices.
This role requires an innovative character who is keen to enhance and improve processes, working autonomously as well as collaboratively with the senior management team. This position will be instrumental in guiding the business on all costs related matters.
Experience in Start Up environments is beneficial but not essential, and we are open to a wide range of experience and flexible working.
Reports to the Legal Director.
Role & responsibilities and core competencies
*Ad hoc duties commensurate with your role are also included in the below
- Guide all day-to-day internal costs functions
- Guide monthly in-house billing
- Manage all costs relating to litigations, reporting to the Management Board and third-party funders
- Provide support and mentor junior members of staff
- Drafting High Value Complex Costs Budgets
- Preparing and filing Precedent R & Precedent T
- Preparing and filing Electronic Precedent S Bills of Costs
- Drafting and filing Points of Dispute/Replies
- Negotiating and attending CCMC’s
- Preparing detailed Assessments and Application Hearings
- Presenting to the Management Board and third-party ltigation funders
What you’ll bring to PGMBM:
- Proven costs lawyer with 10+ years of experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of the law of costs
- Experienced in use of Costsmaster or similar programmes
- Working knowledge of case management systems such as Proclaim and Litify
- Excel literate to a high professional standard
- Excellent technical knowledge of the law relating to litigation funding, including champerty and maintenance, arkin cap, adverse costs against funders, etc.
- Proven team leader and mentor
- Experience of Group Litigation Costs
- Experience of a Start Up environment and the challenges that this can produce
- 25 Days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life Assurance
- 5 days study leave for exams pertaining to legal qualifications
- And more
PGMBM employee commitment
At PGMBM we believe in championing personal growth and achievements, but first and foremost, we’re also a team, and a team is strongest when everyone feels that they are supported and valued as individuals.
We know that our team are the heart of PGMBM and that is why we make the following commitment to all our people:
- To be a meritocracy with a fair and transparent pay review process
- To offer opportunities for internal promotion
- To provide everyone with a fair and structured performance review process
- To provide a learning environment that supports its employees in becoming experts in their roles
- To give all PGMBM’s people opportunities to influence and improve how we work
Our commitment to building an inclusive workplace
PGMBM is an equal opportunities employer who believes passionately that our team should represent the diversity of the clients that we support. We are committed to providing a place of work that provides fair and equal career growth and learning opportunities to all its employees. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind within our company and we celebrate creating a culture offering opportunity for all, regardless of race, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio economic background, disability or religious beliefs.