This role can be based from our Central London or Esher sites and allows flexible working from home.
We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicine, oncology, vaccines and animal health products. Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader, offering veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services, as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
This in-house Legal Counsel for Animal Health Intelligence will be a critical partner within our newly created Data Labs function. Data Labs will be responsible for developing and actualizing the Animal Health intelligence data strategy, pioneering new, innovative ways to further connect our customers to their livestock and companion animals.
The Legal Counsel will:
- Serve as a primary advisor to the Data Labs lead, to enable compliant development of our data usage strategy, as well as work closely with other senior team members to bring our strategy to life.
- Be part of the Data Labs Leadership Team and contribute to the development of the team’s strategic framework.
- Work alongside a broader legal community across our wider company consisting of EUCAN regional lawyers, European Patent lawyers and the UK & Ireland legal team.
- Be involved from the ground up in growing a technology business unit.
- Work flexibly, allowing you the ability to work from home or in any of our London-area office locations
Experience and Skills:
- Experience within technology law (IP, data, contract drafting, privacy). Advantageous if you have worked with technology companies or the wider sector.
- Strong experience with contract drafting, review and negotiation, including experience drafting and negotiating data license agreements, data sharing agreements, SaaS agreements and other intellectual property license agreements.
- Familiarity working with open source and other software licenses used in the development of technology platforms.
- Entrepreneurial spirit to drive a business in the technology sector and intimately learn and advocate our business initiatives.
- Experience/comfort working with senior management and influencing change.
- Fluent in English.
- LLB or its equivalent required
- Develop effective, efficient legal frameworks for Data Labs use cases in a way that maximizes our data opportunities and minimizes risks.
- Draft contracts, licenses and consents to support data usage legal frameworks.
- Support evaluation of data usage frameworks for acquisition and minority investment opportunities.
- Provide change management support and reinforcement regarding implementation of data usage frameworks.
- Collaborate on developing data ownership and protections strategy and formulating external and internal education of strategy.
- Provide ongoing privacy and data usage education to the Data Labs and Technology Labs teams.
- Support Technology Labs team in developing supporting documentation for connected products and applications.
- Actively partner with internal functions on the development of Data Labs projects.
- Partner with the Global Privacy Office and animal health intelligence Compliance Director on data privacy matters in support of Data Labs commercial goals.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.