Newsweek is a global news publisher that provides high quality, in-depth coverage and analysis of the major events shaping our world. For more than 80 years, the iconic brand has been offering readers a unique perspective on world affairs and giving context to the most important events in global news. Today, via its print and digital editions, Newsweek continues to help its readers navigate a rapidly-changing world.
This is a rare opportunity for a Legal Counsel to join an innovative and exciting media technology company and be the right hand to our Global General Counsel and deliver a broad range of first class in-house legal services across our London and New York offices. This role may require travel to NY a few times a year.
This is a full-time position with the ability to work partially from home and partially from our London, Canary Wharf office. Our London office is temporarily closed with all staff working from home due to Covid-19.
- Provide high quality commercial legal advice, supporting Global General Counsel, senior management, editorial, sales, finance, HR, and other internal stakeholders
- Review, negotiate, draft various commercial contracts, including content, technology, services, procurement and distribution with global counterparties
- Assist in handling various legal disputes
- Liaise and manage outside counsel in the provision of legal services in particular in relation to employment, defamation and intellectual property
- Manage employment law related matters
- Solicitor qualified in the UK with training at a major law firm or media boutique firm
- Strong negotiating and drafting commercial contract skills
- Excellent commercial judgment
- Collaborative attitude and excellent communicator with all levels of stakeholders
- Self starter who continually strives for improvement and is eager to learn
- Quick thinking, highly organised, and able to manage multiple tasks and demands simultaneously
- Resilient and tenacious with a positive nature and a sense of humour
- PQE 3 - 5 years
- Experience of intellectual property, data protection, or employment
- In-house counsel experience
- Media or technology experience
- Knowledge of UK employment law advice
Apply for Legal Counsel
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly