Head of Contracts (Contracts Manager / Lawyer) - London
General commercial role, in house with a high profile not for profit body operating in the health care and data sciences sector.
Our client is a not for profit body operating in the health care and data sciences sector with the ultimate goal of improving public health both in the UK and throughout the world.
Reporting to the Head of Legal the Head of contracts will Lead the Contracts Team, which supports the whole of the organisation and its strategic priorities, balancing robust negotiation with timely conclusion of contract matters. The Contracts Team handles a wide variety of agreements including both incoming and outgoing grant award terms, services agreements, research collaboration/consortium agreements, studentships, external secondments, data agreements, IP licences/assignments, heads of terms, and revenue sharing arrangements.
The Head of Contracts will:
- Line manage a small team of contracts staff, with responsibility for their standards of output and their professional development.
- Oversee the Contracts Team's use of the organisation's templates, drafting of bespoke provisions, and review of external terms in line with the organisation's approved positions. Draft and lead negotiations on complex agreements such as high-value or multi-stage services engagements, multi-tiered funding structures, IP licences/assignments, and data agreements.
- Advise staff and stakeholders on contract terms, contracting approach, risk management, and contract processes.
- Ensure that contracts and grants comply with policies and financial regulations, as well as the requirements of the organisation's funders (which are both public and private).
- Ensure accurate records are kept regarding the contracting process and contract documentation, including assisting the Contracts Managers as needed to maintain and manage the contracts register and folders.
The successful candidate will
- either be a Qualified Solicitor, or an experienced Contracts Manager with at least seven years of contract management experience, ideally involving both public sector and industry counterparties.
- have proven success leading a contracts team.
- have experience with the following: (1) GDPR; (2) domestic and international grant funding; (3) multi-site research collaboration structures.
- be confident reviewing, negotiating, and drafting a range of contract terms, often regarding technical underlying subject matter. This will include liabilities/indemnities, data provisions, IP provisions, confidentiality and publication provisions, and multi-party research or funding arrangements.
The candidate must be able to communicate the organisation's positions with awareness of both the specific contract at issue and the larger context of the relationship between the parties.
For further information about the package on offer for this position (which is available on a fully remote basis) please apply to the advert below or, alternatively, please contact the exclusively instructed agent, David Taylor of Michael Page Legal.