Legal Counsel- Finance
In-house Finance Lawyer
Your new company
This organisation is part of a group of companies that sell passenger cars, commercial vehicles, parts, insurance, financial services and funding for dealers. The company generated over €150bn in revenue in 2020 and has over 285,000 staff. It has customers ranging from private individuals and SMEs to blue-chip PLCs, from all industry sectors including retail, local authority, healthcare and education.
Your new role
An opportunity has become available for a Solicitor to provide legal support to the financial services and insurance services companies in the UK. The role, which will report into the financial services and insurance Senior Solicitor, will sit within the wider Legal Department.
Predominantly, you will advise on motor finance matters involving customer documentation, compliance with consumer credit legislation and the FCA handbook, selling finance online, as well as dealer funding and security documentation. You will negotiate fleet sales and other B2B finance documentation.
You will also draft, negotiate and conclude a range of contracts for the procurement, IT and insurance teams, frequently liaising with the business and other parties. This will include ensuring that the contract complies with internal company policies and advising the business of any risks contained within such contracts.
What you'll need to succeed
- Knowledge and experience of consumer credit is essential and would preferably include motor finance, together with familiarity of the FCA handbook.
- Commercial contract drafting experience is highly desirable.
- Experience in dealer funding, security documentation, insurance contracts and motor finance disputes is highly desirable.
- Experience in data protection, competition law, M&A, assisting with company secretarial tasks and managing external law firms is desirable.
- Familiarity with an 'O Shaped Lawyer' is desirable.
- A strong academic background with first rate professional training.
- An ability to balance the company's commercial drivers against legal risk.
- Proactive approach in solving problems.
- An ability to carry out multiple tasks, prioritising work effectively.
- An ability to work well within a team, including taking on a variety of work.
- The gravitas and personality to advise stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and people skills.
- 0-4 years' post qualification experience.
Whilst previous in-house, financial services and automotive experience is desirable, a personable, well-rounded individual with a passion to learn about financial services and insurance is crucial.
What you'll get in return
Included within the package is a competitive salary, a generous discretionary bonus, a company car (as part of a Loan Purchase Scheme), pension, as well as a flexible benefit pot that can be used to find the benefits that are right for you such as private medical insurance.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.