We are a photonics and quantum technology company on a mission to harness the power of light to change the world. Our award-winning laser platforms were designed to help scientists understand more about the world around them, but we’ve grown to become much more than a scientific laser engineering company. We’re helping to move novel science from the lab and into the real world and we’re dedicated to advancing the global scientific agenda, so that the next generation inherits new technologies and exciting challenges. We’ve already established ourselves as one of the UK’s most innovative, disruptive technology businesses - recognised by the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 and Export Track 100 and awarded the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Innovation in 2016 and International Trade in 2017.
M Squared has a rare and exciting opportunity for a qualified lawyer to join our in-house team as Legal Counsel, to be based at our central Glasgow office. This is a key appointment within a closely-knit team, reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel.
- As a key addition to M Squared’s focused, commercial and agile group-wide Group Legal function, a key deliverable is supporting legal/regulatory compliance and IP management across the business.
- A busy, stimulating, demanding and varied position that genuinely offers the chance to utilise legal skills in the context of a world-changing science and technology business.
- Managing legal risk and maintenance of robust business processes for legal compliance and operations, including ensuring there is appropriate legal framework across the organisation, including IP exploitation, licensing in, R&D, sales process, corporate transactional, company secretarial, compliance and regulatory.
- Ability to operate with autonomy and independence in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Taking ownership of matters in a variety of common inhouse practice areas including contract review and negotiation, employment, and supplier and risk management.
- Managing strategic projects and external counsel.
- Using, managing and adopting information technology solutions to create opportunities and efficiencies within the legal function and business generally. M Squared’s Group Legal is an active and enthusiastic introducer and user of legal technology solutions.
- Admitted to practice law in Scotland and / or England and Wales. Ideally 2 years post qualification experience (PQE) in technology / IP / corporate / commercial contract work in either a top-tier commercial law firm or highly regarded in-house position. Newly qualified candidates with relevant experience who are driven to develop will also be considered.
- A demonstrable passion for science and technology and a practical understanding of the exploitation of knowledge and intellectual property.
- Hands-on, energetic, intellectually curious.
- Personal credibility and the ability to inspire trust and respect of colleagues, displaying strong legal, commercial and business understanding with the ability to provide clear advice and support.
- Sound legal judgment and interpersonal and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence, set an example for, and train non-legal colleagues.
- Self-motivated and well organised with the ability to handle multiple, high-priority projects while attending to details; able to prioritise tasks and work well under pressure.
M Squared offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package and the chance to work with an innovative global company.
Please click on the Apply Button to submit an application or to request further information.
Apply for Legal Counsel
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly