Assistant Regional Solicitor - 12 month FTC - Property Law
This role involves providing full legal support to our client in relation to the acquisition, development and disposal of land for residential purposes.
Our client are one of the UK's leading and largest home construction businesses and are a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. They have a large network of lawyers based in all areas of the UK.
- To assist the Regional Solicitor with major and / or complex land acquisitions, including attending site visits and pre-exchange meetings with the Regional Solicitor and assisting with the exchange and completion of those transactions.
- Where appropriate , to directly handle less complex land acquisition work ( where necessary with supervision) including negotiating the contract and ancillary documents , investigating title, reviewing the results of searches and enquiries , attending site visits ,preparing a legal report to the business unit ,contributing to pre-exchange meetings with the Regional Solicitor and dealing with the exchange and completion of those transactions and any necessary post-completion work .
- To deal with the disposal of land to affordable housing providers on a "golden brick" basis , including preparing the title pack, preparing replies to enquiries and negotiating the sale agreement and ancillary documentation.
- Where appropriate , to negotiate and complete Planning Agreements, Infrastructure Agreements and any other Statutory Agreements.
- To deal with other property related matters , including surplus land disposals, licences for occupation or to carry out works , deeds of easement, deeds of covenant and contract /transfer rectifications.
- To provide advice on legal issues and provide title and contract information and general guidance to the land and planning and technical departments in various business units.
- To complete other project work, research and legal tasks that may be assigned from time to time.
- To assist the Regional Solicitor in dealing with day to day enquiries including non-routine matters and any queries which arise when undertaking transnational work.
- To liaise and efficiently communicate with all levels and departments including with Divisional Legal Managers, Assistant Divisional Legal Managers and plot conveyancing staff in relation to plot conveyancing related issues. (This is a key area to ensure the smooth transfer of sites, including those acquired by external law firms, to the plot teams.)
- To provide holiday/absence cover for the Regional Solicitor.
- To include general administration duties such as copying, scanning and maintaining records .
- Land & Planning Department
- Internal Legal Department
- External firms of solicitors - both on the appointed panel and otherwise
We are seeking someone with good experience of property law and residential conveyancing gained in either private practice or in-house. This role would suit someone between NQ and 3/4 years PQE who is seeking a change, available at fairly short notice and who have the ability to build strong relationships in an in-house environment.
Measures of success in this role:
- Excellent organisation skills, ability to maintain complex paper and computer-based filing and information systems.
- A methodical and accurate approach to all tasks with close attention to detail.
- Pleasant outgoing personality and confident telephone manner.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- Enthusiasm, flexible, willingness to learn and potential to take more responsibility.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels and to analyse complex legal issues quickly and decisively.
- IT literate with familiarity with Word IT processing systems and computer data base and case management systems.
Salary is DOE and comes with competitive benefits package:
- Private Medical Care
- Annual Holiday of 26 days per annum (1 Jan - 31 Dec) 3 of which are to be taken between Xmas and New Year, plus Bank Holidays (8 days)
- Opportunity to join a Stakeholder Pension
- Life Assurance @ 4 x basic salary subject to joining the Pension Scheme
- Non-Contractual benefits:
- Bonus of up to 5% of salary (terms and conditions apply).
- Employee Assistance programme service
- Flexible benefits- cycle scheme, childcare vouchers and holiday purchase
- Share incentive plan
- Save as you earn share plan
- Discounts - you may qualify for up to 20% or £50K (whichever is less) off the purchase price of a Home (subject to terms and conditions)
- Discounts from suppliers of the business
- Online employee discounts sites offers from various retailers etc
- Relevant professional membership paid
- Access to development and learning opportunities.
- Free on-site Car Parking
- Agile working across the business