Excellent new role for a commercial lawyer to join the innovative in-house legal team of a leading UK financial institution. Role will be based in Edinburgh but flexible/hybrid working arrangements are also available.
Identify and manage legal risk in delivering targeted, commercially focused legal advice on corporate, commercial and regulatory legal matters. This will include:
- Support and advice on retail banking products and their development;
- Negotiating and advising upon third party service;
- Data and software contracts and debt and other asset sale arrangements;
- Advising on general commercial, regulatory and litigation legal queries.
- Providing practical commercial legal advice to all business areas in relation to: (i) new contractual arrangements, including negotiation, reviewing and drafting contracts; (ii) existing contractual arrangements, including managing contractual relationships and disputes; and (iii) compliance with the law and new legal developments.
- Acting as a trusted advisor to develop a good understanding of business objectives and customer outcomes and provide appropriate commercial and customer-centric expertise and advice, which aligns with key strategic goals and adds value to the business.
- Pro-actively identifying legal risks, advising on appropriate mitigation strategies and ensuring these risks are effectively managed and escalated.
- Conducting horizon scanning and advising on legal and regulatory change.
- Being proactive, adaptable and working in an agile and collaborative way with colleagues and stakeholders to ensure products and business processes work for customers.
- Responding to operational, complaint and process queries as they arise.
- Supporting good governance by understanding risk appetite, escalating high risk or complex matters and providing input to approval and briefing documentation.
- Balancing and prioritising workload, dealing with a number of competing matters at any one time.
- Identifying opportunities for business improvement across the business.
- Supporting compliance with the Legal Policies and provision of relevant training to colleagues.
- Fully Qualified Solicitor with circa 4+ PQE.
- Significant commercial legal experience either in-house or in private practice;
- Track record of delivering pragmatic risk-based legal advice;
- Experience of strong relationship management (both internal and external stakeholders);
- Experience in the finance or technology sectors would be advantageous and desirable but not essential. This may include: advising on retail financial services products, Consumer Credit matters and regulation;
- Sound legal, analytical, drafting and writing skills;
- High level of integrated thinking to solve problems;
- Proactive and highly organised;
- Customer orientated with excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Flexibility to be able to deal with a range of legal issues;
- Capability to work with the business at all levels;
- Ability to balance and prioritise workload and deal with a number of competing projects at any one time.
On offer is a highly competitive salary and benefits package including flexible working, pension and bonus.
For a confidential discussion about this position or to apply, please click on the Apply Button to get in touch.
Apply for Legal Counsel
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly