Corporate Legal Counsel, UK
Corporate Legal Counsel, UK
London or Remote UK
Are you our “TYPE”?
Named "One of the Most Innovative Companies in Design'' by Fast Company, Monotype brings brands to life through type and technology that consumers engage with every day. The company's rich legacy includes a library that can be traced back hundreds of years, featuring famed typefaces like Helvetica, Futura, Times New Roman and more. Monotype also provides a first-of-its-kind service that makes fonts more accessible for creative professionals to discover, license, and use in our increasingly digital world. We work with the biggest global brands, and with individual creatives, offering a wide set of solutions that make it easier for them to do what they do best: design beautiful brand experiences. Want to learn more about who we are and how you can become part of our team?
Reporting to the European Legal Counsel, the Corporate Counsel has broad responsibilities, carrying out the legal processes necessary to protect the company’s interests relating to the UK entity and the non-US sales efforts of the Enterprise and Digital Commerce businesses. This includes providing guidance and support to top management on governance issues as well as the negotiation, interpretation and/or administration of contracts, subcontracts and licensing agreements. Furthermore, the attorney may work under the direction of a different attorney such as the Lead Contract Counsel or the General Counsel on global projects.
What you’ll be doing:
- Accurately prepare, revise redline, negotiate and distribute contracts based on template documents in coordination with the worldwide legal, finance and sales support team; coordinate with outside counsel with respect to contracts issues and status
- Advising sales and finance team to minimize risk while balancing business interests
- Monitor and correspond directly with internal stakeholders and outside counsel with respect to ongoing enforcement efforts relating to the company’s intellectual property
- Assist in the continued implementation and enforcement of the Company’s internal policies, preparing materials for broad dissemination throughout the Company and communicating legal requirements to all segments of the Company under the direction of the General Counsel.
- Assist with all Corporate Secretary activities such as updating the digital records at the UK Companies House, maintaining legal corporate filings and records and preparing and organizing Board meetings and or Board consent.
What we’re looking for:
- UK qualified solicitor, with a minimum of 5 years PQE (or equivalent work experience)
- Previous experience at a law firm or in an in-house legal position (experience within the software industry, desirable but not essential)
- Experience working with an internal sales organisation on B2B contracts
- A technical background and intellectual property law, litigation, and high-tech experience
- Solid judgment and business acumen and understanding of business operations
- Self-motivated and efficient, with good business judgment and analytical skills
- Ability to explain complex, challenging issues in a clear manner to all levels of the organization, including senior management
- Clear understanding and adherence to ethical principles, company values, code of conduct and policies
- Excellent written and verbal skills, particularly to assist a non-legal audience in understanding complex legal and regulatory requirements
- Strong negotiating skills and confidence dealing with opposing counsel
- Flexibility and willingness to respond to the change legal needs of a global software company
What’s in it for you:
- Work in a highly creative space with software that is used by almost all computer use
- Highly engaged “Fun” Committee to keep work enjoyable
- WFH options
- Further education & training opportunities
- Individual and comprehensive onboarding program
- Medical & Dental Insurance, and Eyecare vouchers to meet all your healthcare needs
- 25 paid holidays
- Great matched pension scheme to save for your future, and so much more!