Tax Associate / Senior Associate
Job Title: Associate or Senior Associate
Reports To: Partner
We are seeking to appoint a full or part-time experienced tax lawyer or advisor to support our market-leading charity and social enterprise practice, which is band 1 ranked in Chambers and Legal 500.
To thrive in this role, you will:
- Be a private practice or in-house lawyer, either specializing solely in tax, or with a significant tax practice, and likely at least three years PQE. We are willing to consider candidates who are not lawyers but who are ATT/CIOT qualified and have at least three years of PQE.
- Have experience in advising on tax matters in a charity and social enterprise, corporate or private client context.
- Have a strong interest in continuing or beginning to use using your tax expertise to support positive impact in the charity and social enterprise sectors.
- Wish to work in a growing practice in which tax advice is core, and to either specialize in this or combine it with other forms of corporate and commercial advice for charities and social enterprises.
We advise on the full range of corporate and commercial issues affecting charities and social enterprises, with specialist overlays relating to the regulation and operation of those sectors. Our tax practice covers advisory, transactional and contentious work, including:
- Direct tax: gifts, gift aid, individual and corporate donations (including bonds, shares, and art), license fees, donor benefit, business rates, subsidiary arrangements, expenses and secondments, and employment taxes.
- Indirect tax: VAT registration, exemptions, grants, fundraising, sponsorship, transfers of going concerned, reverse charges, and barter transactions.
Our clients span household name charities, social enterprises, purpose-driven businesses, corporates, governments, and public authorities, ranging from start-ups and grassroots groups to large national and international organizations. They include thought leaders on charitable activities and social impact issues, and this strong focus on innovation and positive social change provides opportunities to advise on novel and developing areas of tax law. The sheer depth and breadth of our practice provide enormous variety and an interesting and challenging combination of complex and more routine advice.
There is also the opportunity to develop new skills and expertise, for example in the intersection between tax law and other areas, such as charitable fundraising, corporate and individual philanthropy, and charity real estate.
You will play a leading role in shaping our strategy for this critical area, enhancing the profile of our tax practice internally and externally. We encourage our lawyers to build their networks and pursue their personal passions through their practice, working collaboratively across the firm to develop new business.
There are excellent opportunities for career development and progression within a collegiate environment, including the potential for formal tax qualifications support.
Specific tasks may change over time, so we’ll need you to be adaptable and flexible as we continue to meet our clients’ needs.
- You see the value in us as a career choice and view the firm as a high-quality employer.
- You share our values and want to make a difference.
- You want to feel that you are a part of the firm experience and ‘belong’.
- You are not afraid to test assumptions and challenges.
- You want exposure to a variety of challenges that will allow you to innovate.
- You are technically excellent, commercially minded, and have great people skills.