Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates Solicitor
Our Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates team covers the whole of the UK. The Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates Team has been recognised by Legal 500, and Chambers and Partners reflecting our enviable reputation for advising clients in this growing area of law.
We are proud to provide a personal, transparent and efficient service by a team which includes partners and solicitors and also have longstanding members of ACTAPS (Association of Contentious Trust & Probate Specialists) within the team. We also have solicitors enrolled on the ACTAPS post graduate study course with the University of Law to highlight our commitment to ongoing training and development of the team.
The ongoing growth of the London office following a number of mergers has seen on influx of high value complex litigation that has meant that expansion is needed with expert training and supervision provided by some of the leading specialists in this area of law.
As a Solicitor you will be required to help develop and expand the Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates Team. You will work closely with the head of department Matthew Morton who is a qualified Solicitor and a full member of ACTAPS to grow the team and ensure excellent client service.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage own caseload of Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates work, initially with appropriate supervision, training and guidance from the head of department.
- The caseload involves high value/complex Trusts and Estates work for high net worth individuals.
- Assist other case handlers in the team and wider department with their cases as may be required
- Supervise and develop the skills of other team members including trainees and paralegals
- Supervise the support staff and admin team in Leeds
- Advise and take instructions from clients in relation to disputed wills trusts and estates
- Travel to Court and attend upon clients
- Prepare and file various correspondence, notes and documentation
- Assist with marketing the services of the team and wider department
- Achieve and help set financial and chargeable targets\KPIs
- Ensure relevant deadlines and quality measures are adhered to
- Comply with relevant Weightmans client policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
- Business development
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- Qualified solicitor 1 to 3 Years PQE
- Keen interest and wide experience in all aspects of Disputed Wills Trusts and Estates. Experience of high value/complex disputes for high net worth individuals would be desirable
- Litigation experience preparing cases for the County Court and the High Court is desirable
- A willingness to work towards achieving ACTAPS membership
- Business development skills and experience – an existing network of contacts would be advantageous
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Flexible approach
- Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Adviser can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.