Our national corporate team provides a comprehensive range of legal services, with a particular focus on corporate transactional work, including mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs and buy-ins, and trade sales and disposals. We act on behalf of private equity funds, fund managers and investee companies and their management teams. We also handle company re-organisations and re-structuring, joint ventures, shareholder agreements and investment agreements and offer advice on general company law compliance and corporate governance.
We are currently recruiting for a Corporate Lawyer 3YRS + PQE to join our Corporate team.
The successful candidate will manage own workload and assist other lawyers in relation to corporate transactional work and company law advisory work.
Location is flexible and we can consider applications from Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To manage own workload of corporate transactional and company law advisory work (to include structuring and governance) for a variety of clients including owner managed businesses, private and public companies, public sector bodies, LLPs, partnerships and individuals
- Assist other lawyers in the team with their work as required including supporting lead advisers in transactional work and supervision of more junior lawyers
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of transactional and corporate documents
- To develop and build upon own case load of corporate/company law matters whilst supporting partners with larger scale matters
- Advise clients in relation to the various areas set out above
- Ensure clients are kept informed as often as may be required
- To take an active role in business development
- Attend client meetings and visit clients’ premises as necessary
- Liaise with internal and external parties such as colleagues, clients, other lawyers etc
- To train, supervise and develop junior team members
- Complete MI procedures as and when required
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIs are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- Proven experience in all aspects of private M&A transactions
- High level of commercial awareness with strong attention to detail and good drafting skills
- Conscientious, self motivated, hard working, responsive, with critical thinking abilities and excellent communication, organisation and analytical skills
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative and as part of a team within the national corporate teams supporting more senior and junior staff and across the wider firm on larger projects
- Methodical, organised, logical approach
- Passionate about operational excellence generating work opportunities through great service delivery and improving the client experience
- Ability to work to strict deadlines, tight timetables, targets and client protocols while maintaining high standards in terms of accuracy and quality
- Excellent drafting and research skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent communication
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Confident communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.