- Michael Page Legal
- England, London
- £80000 - £90000 per annum
- 05 Jan 2023
- 02 Feb 2023
- JN -102022-5781762
- Rosie Gage
- Job Title
- Practice Area
- Commercial Contracts, Funds, Trusts/Investments/Funds
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Legal Counsel | Major British Charity | London | Salary £80,000 - £90,000 per annum
This a rare opportunity for a qualified legal professional to join a major British charity. This role reports to the Head of Legal (Investments) and is based in London; offering the chance to work with and learn from the best.
- An innovative, major UK asset owner, responsible for managing the £10bn+ endowment fund of one of the UK's most recognisable charities.
- A registered charity and a global leader in responsible investment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Commercial Contract Advice
- Review and negotiation of non-investment commercial contracts with external service providers and vendors, including letters of engagement for consultants, software-as-a-service agreements, managing agent agreements and data licences (in liaison with the Legal Office, the Head of Investment Legal and the Vendor and Contracts Manager as appropriate).
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating non-disclosure agreements, reverse solicitation letters and powers of attorney about investment and non-investment activity.
- Preparing legal agreements for execution and obtaining/collating signatures within the organisation as required.
- Analysis of existing legal agreements to summarise and/or extract key information and data for management information purposes.
Investment Process Support:
- Arranging for and reviewing external legal reports of proposed investments and providing support on the preparation and negotiation of fund documentation, side letters and investment management agreements.
- Arranging for internal tax reviews of proposed investments and obtaining confirmation of the relevant organisation investing entity.
- Review of subscription documents and application forms prepared by the Investment Operations team for closed-ended and open-ended investment funds across various asset classes.
- Supporting the Investment Operations team in their dealings with third-party fund managers and administrators when confirming entity and individual AML and 'know-your-client' requirements and ensuring timely delivery of all documentation.
- Assist with regular and ad-hoc reporting of the outcome of investment legal reviews.
Other Legal Services:
- Assisting with the management and oversight of external legal counsel.
- Collating and filing final legal documentation.
- Undertaking ad-hoc legal research on asset management, real estate and regulatory matters as required.
The successful candidate will be a qualified lawyer licensed to practise in the UK. The following are essential skills and qualifications required to thrive in this position:
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- The role will suit a newly qualified solicitor or a solicitor with up to two years of post-qualification experience.
- Preferably admitted to practice in England and Wales and/or another common law jurisdiction.
- Knowledge or previous experience of commercial contracts either at a commercial law firm or in-house is preferred. Previous experience in financial services and/or asset management is desirable but not mandatory.
- Approachable style with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and show initiative.
- Ability to respond to and work through often changing and competing priorities and demonstrable experience of working to and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work with and manage large amounts of data and information.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and dedicated with a demonstrable drive to achieve objectives.
- Ability to quickly build effective working relationships with other team members and other teams.
- A demonstrable ability to prioritise, multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- Operates with discretion and integrity.
This role offers a generous salary and a flexible working environment.
Take your career forward, reach out and apply for this Legal Counsel position via the portal below; we look forward to welcoming you onto the team.