Governance Team Leader
- Michael Page Legal
- England, London
- 18 Jan 2023
- 15 Feb 2023
- JN -112022-5856301
- Nicole Batup
- Job Title
- Practice Area
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Work as part of the governance management team to manage the performance, workload and day-to-day administration in relation to designated members of the governance team, taking responsibility for day-to-day co-ordination of services provided to the companies elected and appointed member communities. Undertake a range of specific projects relating to governance.
My client is a well-known UK private company.
* Ensures that high-quality organisational, logistical and administrative support is provided to a number of committees, including overseeing the production, distribution and retention of accurate and timely agendas, papers and minutes, and managing the committees' workplans and the relevant entries in the online governance calendar.
* Works with colleagues on 'team-wide' processes including committee appointments, induction and training.
Develops and implements various strategies for the department, in line with the business plan, to maximise efficiency in the processes used to review, approve and track progress across governance. Contribute as necessary towards driving continuous improvement in the service.
* Co-ordinates an annual programme of meeting dates for committees, consistent with that agreed for Council, the Board and the Board's Committees.
* Plans a range of meeting schedules, ensuring achievement of appropriate and timely sequencing to allow business activities to flow smoothly.
* Liaises effectively with colleagues to ensure that interfaces between committees are well managed.
* Take responsibility for day-to-day management of a team of governance officers, sets objectives and conducts performance management including regular one-to-one meetings, appraisals and development reviews.
* Supports colleagues in liaising with Council and Board members, committee chairs and members, and with Law Society staff as required.
* Maintains and enhances the team's approach to electronic records management (including Directors Desk).
* Represents the department at meetings and advises members on a wide variety of subjects relevant to the responsibilities of the service.
* Provides training on a range of matters relevant to the work of the department to Members and governance officers as appropriate.
* Provides consistent and pragmatic advice, instructing and quality checking work of team members.
* Supports, and when required manages, projects related to governance.
* Responsible for secretariat, on an 'as needs' basis, to committees otherwise not supported.
* Strong committee management experience and an aptitude for managing people and performance.
* Ability to take day-to-day responsibility for managing, motivating, appraising and developing staff.
* Up-to-date IT literacy / skills including experience with MS Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, be able to explain / understand information and advice easily and succinctly.
* Ability to work well in a rapidly changing and pressured environment, completing a range of tasks accurately and effectively.
* Ability to resolve competing priorities in own and others' workloads proactively and efficiently.
* Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with senior staff and Council, board and committee chairs and members, maintaining tact and diplomacy at all times, and keeping confidence as required.
* Excellent organisational skills including a high level of attention to detail.
* Proven experience in providing secretariat services to senior level Boards and Committees.
* Proficient in tailoring communications according to the audience.
* Familiarity with databases and with standard office finance processing systems.
* Some experience of dealing with financial, management and administrative matters.
* Some understanding of work in a professional services / membership organisation.
* Some interest in legal issues and the wider policy agenda.
Competitive Salary plus 3% flex
Hybrid working model
Small friendly team