Legal Counsel - Construction
- LHH Recruitment Solutions
- £70000.00 - £80000.00 per annum
- 21 Mar 2023
- 18 Apr 2023
- JN -032023-312030
- Ben Fryer
- Job Title
- In House Counsel
- Practice Area
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Legal Counsel - Construction
Magnox are responsible for the safe and secure clean-up of 12 nuclear sites and operation of one hydro-electric plant. Licensed under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965 and holder of the licence for 12 nuclear sites and one hydro-electric plant, we are the legal entity responsible for the following sites, which are owned by the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority:
· Berkeley, Bradwell, Chapelcross, Dungeness A, Harwell, Hinkley Point A, Hunterston A, Maentwrog, Oldbury, Sizewell A, Trawsfynydd, Winfrith, Wylfa
In coming years, Magnox Limited will also be responsible for the decommissioning of Dounreay and the Advanced Gas Cooled Reactor (AGR) fleet currently operated by EDF.
Reporting to the Chief Counsel (Projects & Commercial), we are looking for two Legal Counsel to join our recently established and growing Legal & Corporate Governance Team. The role is required to provide high quality, commercially focussed legal advice to Magnox to facilitate the achievement of its objectives.
One Legal Counsel role will typically focus on supporting the Magnox Commercial and Programme Delivery team in managing over £2bn in live construction contracts. The other will typically focus on supporting the Magnox Commercial team in its procurement and commercial activity. The roles will be mutually supporting and will be able to be developed by the new joiners who will be expected to work together closely as a team. This will be in addition to working flexibly as part of a small Legal & Corporate Governance function to deliver the best outcomes for our clients.
The Legal Counsel will interact with internal clients (typically up to Director level) for the purposes of providing legal advice and will interact with external legal advisers and external stakeholders where required to support internal clients.
· Providing legal advice to Magnox Limited in a pragmatic, commercially aware and concise manner
· Providing legal support to Magnox's procurements and commercial activity
· Providing legal support to Magnox projects
· Instructing and managing external legal advisers
· Reviewing and drafting legal documents
· Supporting negotiations with external stakeholders / other commercial parties
· Lead or deputise for the Chief Counsel (Projects & Commercial) on particular matters from time-to-time
· Qualified Solicitor (minimum 4 years PQE; or less with equivalent post qualification experience)
· Experience of advising on a range of construction projects
· In depth knowledge and experience advising on the NEC3 and NEC4 forms of contract
· Experience advising on commercial legal matters
· Experience gained at a top tier law firm and/or at an in-house legal department (whether in the private or public sectors)
· Excellent knowledge of relevant areas of law
· Technical excellence, commercially aware, committed to excellence in client service, with a pragmatic approach and able to give concise solution-focussed advice
· Ability to advise and influence all stakeholders (regardless of level/corporate grade in the organisation) effectively
· Ability to draft legal documents in plain English
· Ability to advise generally in relevant areas of law (e. state aid, competition, nuclear and regulatory law) even if not an expert in such areas
· Highly effective communication skills (written and verbal)
· Solution-focussed team player who will make a positive contribution to a small Legal Team
· strong organisational and management skills
· The ability to rapidly absorb, understand and relay technical and legal information even if not a subject matter expert
- Location - this position is envisaged as a home-based role, with occasional site/office visits
- Remuneration - a competitive package including; strong base salary, car allowance, bonus & pension
Please be aware this role holder requires basic clearance, or the ability to obtain said clearance. Magnox is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and so if you are a suitably qualified applicant we will welcome your application whatever your gender, race, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status or age.
The Application deadline for this role is Friday 24th February 2023. The recruitment process is being handled by Ben Fryer at LHH Recruitment Solutions, all third-party applications will be directed to LHH for consideration.