- Chadwick Nott (In-House)
- England, London
- 27 Mar 2023
- 24 Apr 2023
- Brian Littleton
- Job Title
- Practice Area
- Commercial Contracts
- Contract Type
- Full Time
A wealthy charitable foundation that invests in sub-Sahara Africa is seeking a London based lawyer to be base in the West End. Reporting to the General Counsel & COO who is based in New York, will form part of a collegiate London Office of circa 20 people. The COO and General Counsel is a former partner at a leading New York Law Firm. Working closely with the Program Team, the Legal Officer will have primary responsibility for the drafting of grant, employment, and consulting agreements. The Legal Officer will also be responsible for UK compliance matters, such as data privacy, and will liaise with outside counsel on legal matters such as immigration/work permits, intellectual property, and Charity Commission guidance. The Legal Officer will work closely with the COO and the Finance and Operations teams to advise the program team and structure solutions to issues integral to the charity's mission and charitable objectives. As the sole legal professional in the charity's London headquarters, the Legal Officer must be able to work independently, organize themselves efficiently, dive into a variety of tasks with enthusiasm, and know when to seek advice from senior management.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Draft, review and negotiate grant agreements to implement the charity's programs and investments.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements with employees, consultants, and vendors.
- Manage UK compliance matters, such as data privacy and anti-corruption.
- Advise the Executive Team on policy matters and issues related to the charity's mission and activities.
- Think critically regarding legal issues in connection with the charity's approach of supporting governments directly.
- Identify and manage legal risks associated with programs and operations so that the interests and reputation of the organization are protected.
- Actively engage with program teams to understand the purpose, strategy, and goals of each program so that legal agreements facilitate the program's success.
- Oversee compliance trainings for the team.
- Assist the COO, Operations and Finance with corporate matters such as Trustee management, Board minutes, audit, and annual reports.
Cuurently working in-house, you will have experience of drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreenments either in the charities sectoror outside of the charities sector will an interest in moving into the not-for-profit sector. Any experience of working with Government counterparties is highly advantageous and you will need to travel to sub-Sahara Africa on occasions for the role. Also, this is a 100%office based role in Central London.
*Where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.
Chadwick Nott Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.