Governance and Legal Advisor
- LTE Group
- England, Greater Manchester, Manchester
- Up to £42727.11 per annum + Competitive Benefits
- 22 May 2023
- 31 May 2023
- LTE Group
- Job Title
- General Counsel
- Practice Area
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Governance and Legal Advisor
Up to £42727.11 per annum + Competitive Benefits
Who are we?
We are part of the LTE Group of companies which consist of The Manchester College, Novus Foundations, Total People, MOL and UCEN Manchester. We support more than 25% of Greater Manchester's learning provision and are currently rated "Good" by Ofsted. As a holder of the Queen's Anniversary prize, we continue to drive innovation within further education and always strive to achieve the best possible learning experiences for our students. Our Group is driven by a strong social mission, committed to improving lives and economic success of the people of Greater Manchester. Our strategic aim is to be a national leader in the development and delivery of education and skills.
We are seeking to appoint a proven legal professional, with a breadth of knowledge and experience in commercial & contract law, to join our Governance and Legal team as a Governance and Legal advisor supporting our Company Secretary & General Counsel in the provision of company secretarial duties for all areas of the group. In this role, you will work as a key member of our team, supporting our stakeholders and executive team in key business activities that drive our businesses to achieve their objectives. You will also provide legal advice to ensure we always remain compliant and safe as a business. This is a Hybrid working role with your office days being based at our Head Office in Openshaw, Manchester.
Responsibilities of this role
As a Governance and Legal advisor for the LTE Group you will be responsible for the following:
- Managing Board and other meetings for senior stakeholders and external partners, ensuring that meeting agendas are drafted and sent out in a timely manner, minutes are taken and compiled with agreed actions and that these are sent out and followed up.
- You will represent/deputise in the absence of the Company Secretary and assume any necessary responsibilities to ensure the smooth continuance of the function.
- Preparing Board reports under the direction of the Company Secretary & General Counsel.
- Representing/deputising for the Company Secretary & General Counsel as a member of any multi-functional project team that we participate in.
- Providing Company Secretarial services to joint ventures and subsidiaries as and when required.
- The maintenance of statutory records for the Group to ensure compliance with all statutory filings.
- Registering and responding to notices and letters from statutory bodies and lawyers, relating to potential or actual legal actions against the Group.
- Supporting the Company Secretary & General Counsel with complex legal projects when required.
- Providing legal advice on a range of matters to colleagues within the competence of the post.
- Managing and progressing a caseload of legal issues and reporting to the Company Secretary and General Counsel as required.
- Undertaking contract reviews, drafting of contracts and supporting in the creation of bespoke contract templates to aid our business units with Group bids and tenders.
- You will be a recognised source of pragmatic legal advice and solutions to help reduce our contract risk profile.
- Undertaking detailed reviews of a variety of legal agreements, providing feedback and challenge as necessary.
- Instructing solicitors under the guidance of the Company Secretary & General Counsel where necessary.
- Utilising your knowledge and experience to advise on complaints escalated beyond the normal complaints process.
- You will be responsible for the management of signing and sealing procedures for legal contracts and agreements to ensure compliance.
- You will be responsible for checking all documentation for accuracy.
- Being responsible for the management of archiving and storage arrangements for all legal documents.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
To be successful in your application you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Commercial law /company law experience and experience of working within an in-house legal team/Company Secretariat or Governance team previously.
- Experience in committee work and the administration of corporation bodies in either the public or private sector.
- Degree (law or part law) and/or Governance qualification are desirable but not essential.
What you will receive in return
The successful candidate will receive a highly competitive salary of up to £42,727 per annum.
You will also receive:
- Extensive annual leave, plus bank holidays
- We offer vouchers towards a Simply Health care plan to give you access to On line GP services, Dental check-ups, Eye tests and much more.
- Our Cycle to Work Scheme, which allows you to swap part of your annual salary for use of a bike and cycle accessories up to the value of £1,000.
- Access to join the Local Government Pension Scheme which is a pension that is not affected by the performance of your investments!
- Free parking at our Openshaw campus
- You can take advantage of over 6,000 discounts and offers on the biggest brands, such as Sainsbury's, Just Eat and ASOS to name just a few!
If you would like an informal chat prior to your application, please email Lorna Lloyd-Williams . We looking to hearing from you soon!
The LTE Group are an equal opportunities employer welcoming application from all sections of the community. For more information about what we do please visit our website. If you wish to apply for this exciting opportunity, please click on the 'Apply online' button below.
The closing date for this job advert is 31/05/2023. However, sometimes the job advert may close early if we receive a good response!