Crime Duty Solicitor
Role: Crime Duty Solicitor - London
Leading law firm looking to recruit dedicated and experienced Solicitor for highly sought permanent position.
Gemini Recruitment are currently partnering with a large and established law firm. Our client serves corporate entities and private individuals in over 25 practice areas from offices throughout London and across England and Wales. Our client’s accomplishments are acknowledged and recommended in The Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners, as a top tier firm.
Our client holds the Investors in People Gold Accreditation Quality Standard Mark and is LEXCEL, Cyber Essentials Plus and ISO 27001-2013 accredited and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Crime Department background
Our client’s Crime department is ranked by Chambers and Partners for its reputation for well-prepared, high-quality work. Their department’s case building excellence is based on a sound knowledge of the criminal justice system and the ability to assemble first-rate evidence and documentation.
A number of our client’s solicitors are police station representatives and offers free 24/7 representation at all police station interviews as well as at pre-charge investigations. Our client’s crime department has been involved in many high profile and complex cases. In addition the department has a number of Higher Courts Advocates providing representation for serious matters such as murder and rape. Our client regularly represent clients at the Youth Court, Magistrates’ Court, Crown Court and Court of Appeal.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Report directly to Department Director
- Responsible for all aspects of Crime work and on occasions, where appropriate providing technical expertise and guidance to other team members
- Ability to manage appropriate caseload types and complexities
- Attending clients, taking instructions and preparing cases
- Dealing with correspondence
- Maintaining accurate time costing procedures
- Implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly
- Ensuring compliance with file management.
- Variety of duties including dealing with a full range of Criminal Defence cases both Private and Legal Aid clients and be able to manage complex and sensitive cases ranging from bail applications; serious fraud; white collar crime; murder; drug crime and theft; liaising with the CPS and courts; preparing statements and collating evidence
Key Skills Required
- Duty and Police Station Accredited
- Higher rights of advocacy qualification will be an advantage although not a necessity.
- Must have a clean, valid Practicing Certificate at the time of applying
- Committed team player and adapt well to new challenges
- Previous proven supervisory experience will be an advantage
- Professional with a pro-active approach; excellent client care skills and ability to deal with client matters in a sensitive manner to deal with vulnerable clients and resolve complicated practicalities
- Excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to successfully market the Company and generate new business
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to use own initiative and sound judgment
- Working knowledge of the publically funded Crime work and have the ability to service privately funded cases
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other duties as reasonably required.
On offer is an attractive salary package, a supportive team environment and real prospects for promotion. The Company will consider applicants wishing to work part time, full time or with flexible working hours. The Company will allow hybrid-working in accordance with company policy.
The company is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity and inclusivity of its staff and strives to ensure that their workforce reflects the diversity of the communities they serve.
About Gemini Recruitment and Equal Opportunities:
Gemini Recruitment is a leading recruitment agency specialising in legal recruitment. We provide a highly focused service specialising in placements for Solicitors, Legal Executives, Trainee Solicitors, Paralegals and Legal Support Staff. We have intimate knowledge of specific opportunities in the legal market across the UK.